Thursday, March 3, 2016

On Cooking - Lighten Up!

I've always felt cooking was fun - it's just that there are so many obstacles.

Who wants to go grocery shopping for a long list of ingredients they'll probably use once, spend way too long imperfectly hacking away at vegetables, measure out all these wet and dry ingredients and wonder if they're even following instructions correctly; all at the chance of messing up and the promise of a pile of dishes! After the whole endeavor, you're dodging the kitchen for weeks until you run across some titillating recipe and remind yourself of the trouble all over again.

Sounds like a nightmare, right? Okay, bear with me guys, this is important.

Imagine this scenario instead.

You're hungry. You put a pan on the stove and heat up some oil. No recipe, just the confidence that you'll have a hot, satisfying meal in 10-15 minutes with ingredients in the 'fridge and pantry. Veggies in. Rice/pasta in. Meat in. Salt, pepper and seasonings to finish. You're done cooking when the food tastes and looks good. Your meal is delicious and the dishes are minimal.

Here's a meal that came together simply by 'cooking by feel.'

This is where you want to be. Your intuition is the only recipe you need. It is so important to lighten up and let yourself be creative. When I finally learned to trust myself I learned to enjoy cooking.

I'll be writing soon with tips on how to get to this point!

I know someone out there is saying, "Dave! I have, like, expired milk, peanut butter and instant ramen at home..."

To that I say, "Stop bein' a scrub and get yo ass some groceries fool!"

Forreal,

Dave


0 comments:

Post a Comment